HVAC Tips to Prepare Your Home for the Winter Season
- Category: Articles
- Published: Monday, 17 October 2016 17:21
The fall season brings the joy of pumpkin patches, bonfires, corn mazes and warm apple cider. It also means that the cold winter is right around the corner. Is your HVAC system ready to take on the winter season? Here are some simple HVAC tips to ensure that your family will be warm and comfortable in your home this winter.
• Change your filters: Air filters should be changed out monthly to ensure that your family is breathing the cleanest air. Replacing the filters in your heating system will improve indoor air quality, reduce your energy costs and increase your heating system’s efficiency.
• Test your thermostat: On a cool fall day, turn the heat on to make sure the HVAC system is working properly. Also if you do not already have a programmable thermostat installed, you may want to consider installing one. It allows you to program preset temperatures throughout the day, so when you are away at work, you can have the heat turned down. This not only reduces energy costs, but also allows your HVAC to work less and last longer.
• Make sure your vents are not blocked: Blocked vents can prevent heat from circulating throughout the house. If any furniture or curtains are blocking air vents throughout your home, move them away from the vent to let the air evenly circulate throughout the room.
• Check your windows: During the fall, we keep our windows open for that crisp breeze, and chances are there are some windows still unlocked in your home. An unlocked window is not sealed completely and will allow cold air into your home. Also, it is wise to take off your window screens and store them inside. The cold winter is extremely harsh to them and taking them down will prevent damage.
• Clean your vents: You can use a vacuum cleaner to rid your vents of any dirt, pollen or dust. Cleaning your vents is extremely important, as dirty ducts can produce unclean air that can negatively affect your family’s health.
• Insulate: Add extra insulation to your home’s attic space. This is a major area for air leakage. Insulation will keep your home warmer in the winter months and cooler in the summer months.
• Check for drafts: Drafts allow the heat to escape and the cold winter air to easily enter your home. Check the weather stripping and caulking on every door and window in your home. If any caulking is broken or cracked, it will need replaced.
Following these simple home maintenance steps this fall will ensure your home is in peak condition this winter. If you need help prepping your home to stand up to the brutal winters we experience in the Metro East, call us today at (618) 345-7498 to schedule a comprehensive maintenance inspection. With dirt and neglect being the number one reasons for system failure, regular maintenance is critical when it comes to the health of your heating system. With our Maintenance Membership program, Viviano will remind YOU each fall or winter that it’s time for your 18-point inspection. Let us lower your energy costs and help extend the life of your HVAC system. Call us today!